Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Abra being Flexible

Today I noticed something: John (Tim’s aide) brought his guitar and before lunch we all went out on the field and listened to him play. Abra and I had made her smoothie before hand but I told her to leave it on the counter and we would come back and have lunch. Well, Abra sat outside listening to the music for a good 10 minutes. She was very happy. Then she wanted to go back inside – so we did. I told her that we should just take her lunch outside and eat there. She happily complied.
What is interesting is that at Brook Knoll, this wouldn’t have happened. Abra was rarely able to sit outside and just relax unless it was on her terms and in the places she wanted to stim. If I would try to take her somewhere new she would either bolt or want to leave.

So what is it?
Is she more flexible these days in her new surroundings?
Is she more comfortable here with older kids and their less challenging behaviors?
Has she just not found her stimmy place?
Not comfortable enough yet to bolt?

Time will tell but I’m thinking she is growing up!

No comments: