Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Abra has Autism

You know the majority of the time I don’t think about Abra being someone with autism. Things are so good between us that I just don’t think of it. I think of her as just a great kid: she’s smart, happy, funny, determined, clever, playful and fun to be with.
Well, I was reminded today.

Brook Knoll. I was really looking forward to our trip back to Brook Knoll. I thought we might visit for awhile, say HI to the gang and all that. I honestly thought that she would be comfortable doing this. What was I thinking! Of course she wouldn’t!

In the morning we had talked about visiting Wendy and I even wrote her about on the LW. Driving into the parking lot Abra started typing “Go Car Away Keys.” I told her that we were just going to visit and it would be fun. She typed “Sad” But she didn’t look sad – just a bit nervous. She didn’t want to get out of the car but finally did and happily walked into the room with me. It looks very different and that could have been part of the problem. Everyone was happy to us but Abra just wanted to go. She did say Hi to Wendy though but we ended up leaving about 5 minutes later.

I guess as far as Abra is concerned, Brook Knoll is now ancient history and there is no use hashing-up old memories! Abra no longer belongs at Brook Knoll (and she made it clear that I don’t either) she is now a Soquel High School student – and that is the way it is!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

I feel bad too, it makes me wonder what would happen if she didn't see me for a year. She is a child of the now without past or future. In some ways this is a good thing but in relation to life and society, not so good....