I have some scary news to share. On Wednesday evening Abra got knocked down by a car outside Staples Office Supply. She is FINE. We were shopping and Abra did not want to wait at the checkout and wandered outside. She has been in the habit of looking sideways at windows or crouching down to look up at them, it is her latest quirk. Well she crossed to the parking area and I could see her just thirty feet away and then she crouched down and I saw that there was a driver in the car behind her and they were backing out of their space. The car bumped Abra on her side and then it looked as though the car was right over her and her face was sideways flat on the ground. I was SO scared, I ran shouting for the driver to pull forward which she did. Then it was bedlam, the staff at the store came out and called 911. The driver was hysterical and cradling Abra and Abra was plain freeked out. She had hold of my hands and wanted to stand but everyone wanted her to lay down and didn't get the fact that she didn't understand what was happening. I really thought her leg was hurt because it lay at a funny angle -- but she insisted on standing. She wandered about and had her Light Writer the whole time. She wanted to get into the car and was typing keys, drive, bye and then the ambulance pulled up. The paramedics were FABULOUS, they really treated her appropriately and respectfully and understood the autism piece. Abra let them check out her body and there were obviously no breaks. The ONLY mark on her is a bruise on her left ankle -- does she have a guardian angel or what? The para's asked if I wanted her checked out at hospital but you know that Abra is terrified of doctors so we talked about it. They told me if her pallor changed, if her stomach became distended or if I saw blood in the urine then I should call 911. So I was up and down most of the night but she is truly fine. After she went to bed that night I cried and cried, and I keep asking myself how I can keep her safe. I kept seeing the vision of her under the car for two days, it has lessened today. I think she must have nine lives, or is destined for a special life.
Vicky
Friday, October 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment