Saturday, May 12, 2007

New Progress

Abra made one huge stride this weekend.

We have been working for two years now on words and sentences and tenses, all with the help of sentence strips and white boards.
Yesterday, I took Abra to Kalaidascope, which is a store that she LOVES. She ran around looking at all the flash cards in the different sections. She got stuck in the math section and then later tried to empty the shelf of every box of flash cards in the foreign language section.
\She ended up grabbing a box of preposition cards that had pictures but NO writing on them.
When we got home she began writing descriptions of each card in her own words.
The baby in the bath was "the girl water bubbles towel dry"
The boys cooking was "I am boy cake bread"
The girl skipping was "the girl toes"

Abra was so happy and excited and it made me realize how stuck we had been here at home and that once again Abra took herself to a new level. This wouldn't be possible without the hours and hours that Liz has spent helping Abra learn to express herself.

Abra ended this perfect day by asking me to read to her the Noisy Nora book, she said "please come, help, read book"

~ Bliss :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW!!! She just keeps on moving forward with a
perseverance that defies imagination. I think it is partly because she
is so well loved by people who believe in her, but ultimately it is
her, we just create a climate around her that lets her go forward.
Are any of the strategies we talked about working for the seat belt
thing or the glasses? I will be away for a couple of weeks, but will
check email a couple of times.
Take care, I miss you,
Fran