We are in the process of getting Abra to write functional and complete sentences. In the past when she is in the car or just walking, she would type sentences that she had memorized from her flashcards. She likes doing this: it keeps her busy and we think it is calming for her when she is out in the community. However, it is meaningless and Vicky wanted to move things to a higher level.
Vicky had mentioned that she wanted Abra to write more functional sentences and to be able to request things or answer simple questions using sentences and not just words. Christine (Abra’s teacher) and I talked about it and Christine came up with the idea of training Abra to use specific sentence patterns because Abra is so tuned into word patterns. I thought this was a great idea.
We started with writing Abra’s answers to questions on 3x5 cards. I keep a small box on my desk for the cards. I started with 2 categories: past tense and present tense. The questions are concrete and I only ask after I know she knows the answer. For instance, we will check her schedule and she sees her next activity is Walk Track. As we are getting ready to leave the room, I will ask Abra, “Where are you going?” (I always keep the same sentence pattern for each type of sentence.) Next I show her the 3x5 card that reads, “I am going to walk track.” Then she types it. I reinforce this by telling her, “Yes Abra, you are going to walk track!” Throughout the day I might ask her what she is eating, doing, or what did she just do.
We started this strategy on October 19th and now Abra can answer many questions without looking at the cards! She is also able to use these sentences with other activities. For instance, every day she needs to ask Christine for the key to open a room next door. Christine will ask Abra what she wants and Abra will type “I want key please.” Well, the other day Abra and I were standing by my car and she wanted me to open the door. I got my keys out when she typed “I want key please.” I promptly gave her my keys!
Vicky, Christine and I are no longer letting Abra get away with single word requests. We are pressing her for more information and it is working. The other day Abra was using the exercise bike. She got off of it and started pulling me toward it. I knew that she wanted me to get on the bike and usually I would comply, but this time I told her to get her LightWriter and tell me what she wanted. She typed, “Sit.” I shrugged my shoulders and told her I didn’t understand. She typed, “Liz sit down” So I sat down on the floor and asked her if this is what she wanted. She looked up at the ceiling, thinking, and typed, “Liz sit down bike ride”
I jumped on the bike and started peddling!
Saturday, November 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment