A couple of years ago I wondered about Abras ability to learn language and at the time was likening her to an English Language learner. Something interesting is evolving at the Kid Quest Center and I think that it is a direct result of Abra being in a brand new environment. She is experimenting with the use of language that she has wholly initiated by herself. Last week Abra and Hayley were at the Center together for three hours in the evening.
We have a “quiet” room there that is used for our Quest Literacy Program. Abra asked with her LW
Abra wrote "sister job Haileys body" Then when Nichole asked her what about Hayley's body, she wrote "Head" We asked if Hayley hit her on the head? She replied "no". Very interesting! :-)
We really do not know what Abra meant by this and she wrote about it several times, I wondered if she meant “this is where Hayley learns?” I don’t know.
She really likes the Center and interacts really well with Colleen and a few of the participants.
I think this information is pretty exciting and I think that it really illustrates how we should all be putting Abra in situations that are alien enough for her to get out of her own patterns and ask new questions and yet make sure that these environments also have a feeling of safety for her so that her anxiety does not sit on top of everything.
It also illustrates to me that although Abra has a very large vocabulary and has many sentences that she can use in appropriate situations. When it comes to her actually initiating and asking questions in order to learn something, she really does not know how to use language – hence my reference to English Language Learners.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment