Thursday, January 18, 2007

Yes and No

I think Abra is beginning to understand Yes and No. A couple of weeks ago Abra I wanted Abra to work and she wanted to play on the computer. I told her “First work then computer.” Abra wrote “I want no working time done computer on.” She had done this with me before but I thought she was just inserting No because I kept telling her No! This time I knew she didn't want to work.

One more thing: I’ve been using picture cards with her to work on her answering Yes or No. We’ve been working on this for about a month. I’ll put about 4 cards in front of her --a car, boat, keys and bed. To be certain that she knows these objects I’ll have her point to the specific card when asked. Next I’ll hold up a card -- “keys” and I’ll ask, “Abra are these pants?” When we first started this I would need to give her a visual (shake or nod my head) and verbal que (silently say correct word). This was kind of fun because she would copy me and either shake or nod her head. Anyway, I’ve been fading the prompts and today she got 4 out of 5 correct! I also found (this was Christine’s idea) that it was helpful to have her write what the object was if it was a NO answer; for instance, “No. It is a car.”

1 comment:

Liz said...

I love the answer "No, it is a "__", this is really good
Lately I have found Abra to be reluctant to use her sentences and is going back to using just one word because she knows we will get what she needs,
I do understand her annoyance because it must feel tiresome and slow to write full sentences all the time