Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Lack of motivation or needs visual support?

Liz wrote:

I was thinking about Abra today and her problem w/ answering questions on LW.Remember when Fran said that she isn't motivated to answer our questions? I agreed w/ her at the time but now not so sure.

Abra can and is willing to answer my questions on the white board when choices are given. Today when we were reading her new bus book I asked her "Who are you saying good-bye to?" (we were looking at the page with grandma). I then gave her 3 choices on the white board: Wendy, Liz and Grandma. She immediately pointed to grandma. I, of course, told her she was right and then I told her I would ask her again (she was happy to get it right btw). I erased the board asked her again and told her type the answer. she typed "it" (last word I spoke).....to make a long story short I wrote the answer and she typed it (wanted her to be successful in the end).

I am thinking it isn't motivation, it is the lack of visual support. She needs this support. When I take it away she can't make that leap to remembering what she just saw on the board to typing it. When she has visual choices she can understand what I want; when she doesn't have visual, she doesn't seem understand what is being asked of her.Maybe you knew this all along but I had one of the Ah-ha moments today driving. Duh!Auditory processing problem... So tomorrow I will do the same thing again but give her more auditory clues. Give her 2 verbal choices and be sure to not always give the correct choice last. Or I can help her by telling her the first few letters of what I want. Deb did this the other day with her and it worked some of the time.I could also point to the answer in the text too.... maybe that should be the next step?Anyway, that's it for nowLiz

No comments: