Saturday, October 08, 2011

Challenging Behaviors in the Community

So I’ve been racking my brain trying to come up with strategies to use with Abra in the community to replace her challenging behaviors (stress, taking off shirt, taking glasses off of strangers, laying down at the bus stop, etc).

This seems to be a difficult set of behaviors to fix because the function isn’t always consistent and dependent on the situation. The function can be impulse driven, stress related, extreme excitement and attention seeking. However, what is consistent is that at school and with a routine where Abra feels content and successful, Abra does well and usually doesn’t need to do these types of behaviors.

I’m wondering if we should make the community a part of her schedule and weekly routine? Yes, we tried this last year but she was allowed to “opt out” if she didn’t want to go; hence, she never got a sense that she was in a community program. We would also return to school when she acted out. Anyway, I’m thinking we might start going out this week: near-by trips to the store, etc. I’ll go with Heather and/or have Julie go if possible until Heather has instructional control. We’ll provide visuals (reminders and a schedule), social stories and reinforcement with chips.

I’m wondering too if we should show Abra her daily schedule at home where she makes a “deal” with mom to “follow schedule” in the community. If she doesn’t, she would miss then Center? She could stay home with her respite working and not be allowed to watch TV? Just a thought.

Liz


No comments: